Thursday, May 13, 2010

Garden Party Dessert Table

Today was the day of our dessert table practical exam. Finally! Everything turned out pretty much as I planned. My madeleine cookies were a little dry and stuck to the pan but otherwise no major mishaps. Here's what I did:
Watermelon lemonade, below - this wasn't a requirement but I thought it would be attractive and add to the overall theme. I didn't use a recipe - just pressed the watermelon through a sieve to get all the juice out, used the juice of about six lemons, added some water and sugar.
Above is the chocolate pound cake I made, using my rose bundt pan. I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

And the pic above are chocolate truffles - kind of plain jane but who doesn't like a chocolate truffle, right? I'll give the recipe for them this weekend.

Above are my meringue "pops". We were required to do a meringue product and this is what I came up with. Surprisingly, these went really fast because the kids at the event were drawn to them. I wanted to make the watermelon "vase" more detailed but just ran out of time.
Here is a pic of my rhubarb pie. The lattice on the top came out quite well, don't you think? I'll give the recipe for this one later, too.

Citrus madeleines - a little dry, as mentioned, but they tasted good. I used lemon and orange zest in them. I'm trying to figure out how to make them at home since I don't have a madeleine pan. Any ideas?
Above are linzer cookies - sandwich cookies, traditionally filled with raspberry jam but here I've done raspberry and apricot to make the butterflies' "spots" different colors. Check out all the pansies - all edible! I requested edible flowers on my shopping list and the school actually got them. Awesome!

This last pic is of the fresh fruit tarts with a sweetened mascarpone filling. When we've made fruit tarts in class we've used pastry cream as a filling but I'm not a big fan. I didn't want to bake the filling, though, so decided to do this cheater's version of cheesecake - mascarpone, powdered sugar, and lemon zest to taste. Here's a tip for these types of tarts - brush the bottom with melted chocolate so the filling doesn't make the crust soggy. Also, put a little apricot glaze (or other jam, heated with a little water to thin) over the top to preserve the fruit and make it shiny.

2 comments:

Kirsten Lindquist said...

Fabulous pictures! (These and the outdoor/floral shots!) Love the fruit tarts, can't wait for that recipe. hope the exam went well! (I'm Emily's friend, used to work at Just Food, we met once for your Frida Kahlo party)

Cherish said...

Thanks, Kirsten! I think the exam went well and it's over with now anyway! I'll be posting more of these recipes soon.